Tam Alpies

Alps, mountains and other hiking stuff

A Comprehensive Guide For Foreign Born US Citizens For Obtaining A New Social Security Card

December 24th, 2015

In a number of different situations in your life, you would need a social security number for securing your future and present. If you are looking for a guide to help you in the process of getting a new social security card and you are a foreign born US citizen, you have come to the right place. With proper guidance, you can ensure that the procedure of the application is easy and fast.

Just like every other thing in life, a bit of preparation will take you a long way in minimizing the hassle associated with legal proceedings. There are a few documents that are a mandatory part of the application process. These include a proof of citizenship, an Age proof and a proof of Identity.

If you are worried about the specific documents that would be accepted under each category, this is the comprehensive list of the documents-

Citizenship proof

  • Passport
  • Naturalization Certificate or N-570/N-550
  • Citizenship Certificate or N-561/N-560
  • Report of Birth Certificate or DS-1350
  • FS- 240, CRBA

Age Proof

If a proof of birth is available, it must be produced, however, if it is not possible to procure it within 10 days, other documents passed by the DHS would be accepted.

Identity proof

For your identity proof, you must submit a document that is current and has not already expired. The document should show your name, age and date of birth and should have a recent photo (preferably). Documents ideal for Identity proof include a non-driver’s ID card or a driver’s permit issued by the U.S. or state passport.

After you have your documents in a row, you will need to apply for the card with the application form available online. Thereafter, you have to submit the application online or at the nearest office and appear for an interview to confirm that you do not have a social security number already.